18 October 2007

Adventure in Salt Lake City



I took a day trip to SLC on business today. 90-minute delay on the outbound flight, 30-minute delay on the return. Still, quicker than driving from Denver, and you can sleep or read en route.

What I've noticed in SLC and Las Vegas are the ubiquitous jacked-up pickup trucks. When I tell people in those cities that these aren't nearly as common in Colorado, they're amazed. Sure, ground clearance is desirable in the snow and way off the beaten path, but taking an already-tall, full-sized 4x4 and lifting it another 6+ inches is waaay over the top. Put dubs on, and that truck will never hit the really rough stuff. Look, it's a free country, and we can all drive what we want, but I wouldn't want to lug around that extra height all the freaking time. (Photo from extremeconversions.com)

What brings this up is that I watched a mildly-lifted pickup with cargo dangling out of the bed slowly, but deliberately, drift across 3 traffic lanes in the classic "I'm in the far left lane but need to turn right NOW" maneuver. I saw it coming, and I lifted just enough to let him in. We got on the freeway, and at that point I saw he maybe had 5 psi in his left-rear tire. So, here we have a guy who (1) couldn't care less about being in the proper lane, (2) doesn't care whether his load makes it to his destination with him, and (3) either doesn't see or chooses to ignore a basically flat tire ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE. This, folks, is a driver who just doesn't care.

I've wasted precious moments pondering whether such people are aware of their lack of awareness. Regardless, the more distance between me and a driver like that, the better. The trick is, you can't always see them coming.

Tonight's song: "View From a Stairway" by Deepsky

No comments: