04 July 2012

Crotchety

Happy to get a 50-mile ride in today, but three (three!) bike-related pet peeves reared their heads.
  1. Cyclists wearing earphones.  Why do I bother calling "on your left"?  You're oblivious.  This is an epidemic that's going to get people killed (and it's illegal to boot).
  2. Unfriendly riders.  Pull up next to a guy at a red light, say, "Morning!  How's it going?" and NOTHING in reply (and he's  not even wearing earphones).  I'm not looking for a riding partner, I'm just saying hi, dammit.  We're both riders fighting the elements and traffic.  How about an iota of solidarity?
  3. Wheelsuckers who don't introduce themselves.  Look, all I ask is that you come up alongside, say, "Hi!  My name's Fred.  I'm really tired; do you mind if I sit on for a bit?" before engaging the tractor beam for miles.  That way, I know you're there, and I can say, "Fine, you can sit on, but I'm not going to point out hazards for you, so be careful."  If I'm riding by myself, it's because I want to, but I'm not going to hook you if I know you're there.
Guess I'm getting more crotchety in my old age.  Followup to #1: I even heard a rider groaning about a First World Problem today: "God, my iPhone is all messed up... It's been playing the same track for like an hour!  I can't take it anymore!"

No comments: